Saturday, March 11, 2023

Now Recording: The Histories of Herodotus

I've begun recording the Histories of Herodotus for Fierce Firelight, my podcast for stories, interviews, and readings of historical works.

Per Wikipedia:

"The Histories of Herodotus is considered the founding work of history in Western literature."

"Written around 430 BC in the Ionic dialect of classical Greek, The Histories serves as a record of the ancient traditions, politics, geography, and clashes of various cultures that were known in Greece, Western Asia and Northern Africa at that time."

"The Histories also stands as one of the earliest accounts of the rise of the Persian Empire, as well as the events and causes of the Greco-Persian Wars between the Persian Empire and the Greek city-states in the 5th century BC."

Today we cover Book 1, Chapters 1‑44: "History of Lydia and its kings; the story of Croesus."

I am reading from this edition

Major subjects of the Histories include:
The Archaic Greek world and the role it played in the prelude to the Greco-Persian wars, beginning with the Kingdom of Lydia in Anatolia and its capital at Sardis.
The animals, monsters, geography, and cultures of the earth.
The Rise of the Persian Empire.
The development of Athens, Sparta, Corinth and other Greek states.
The Greco-Persian Wars.

I go about recording stories (mine own and others) and historical readings in different ways; I do relatively close audio editing of pure stories, but treat the intended experience of "reading" readings as being present while someone does a reading, and so for this I continue on despite minor stumbles and don't edit for sound during whitespace. Don't regard my pronunciations as canon.

I have fond memories of sunny days spent transported by a well-annotated copy of the Histories and pounds of Ezell's spicy chicken strips.

2 comments:

  1. A few years ago, Penguin put out "The Landmark Herodotus" which might be worth checking out. Lots of illustrations, footnotes, cross-references, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, I lost the copy I used to read but I appreciated the footnotes

      Delete

Art - First Run