Thursday, August 27, 2026

A Spot of the Old Voice Acting

I recently did my first bit of vocational voice acting on The DeMondego Diamond, a tragedy-romance murder mystery audiodrama- the format is technically referred to as a 'dramatized full-cast audiobook', involving an ensemble cast, narration, music, and sound effects.

I played one of the main characters, Beau DeMondego, a playboy scion of a shattered commercial family. He is part of a tight-knit (perhaps ingrown) group of friends attending law school at a fictional hybrid of Duke and UNC Chapel Hill when chaos and death arise from a tide of pre-graduation debauchery.

The show's been getting great reviews, as you can see on Goodreads and Apple Podcasts. Working with the other voice actors gave me a greater appreciation for the skill of voice actors in general than I'd ever had before; most were either established professionals or pursuing acting as a vocation, and their versatility was astounding. I kept my arms and legs inside the vehicle and just method acted, i.e. played from my own experiences rather than trying to embody a wholly separate character as an artifice. The latter is true skill and seeing voice actors who can really step outside themselves and embody someone unrecognizable from their regular sound and affect is remarkable. When they do 7 or 8 characters in a row as a warm-up, it's like seeing somebody rapidly scroll through a character-select screen.

The show's production values are astonishing, even moreso because the audio engineering, editing, and take selection was a one-woman show, all performed by the writer and director, Greta Craig. The show sounds better and is more aesthetically pleasing than most major audiodramas (or any kind of production) that you'll hear on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. That's the power of a creator's interest in a project's outcome, where personal attention to detail can outproduce professional subcontracting. I look forward to sharing another project that I collaborated with Greta Craig on, an upcoming fantasy audiodrama written and directed by myself.

Here are links to The DeMondego Diamond:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art - First Run